Sunday 18 February 2018

Ruby Rose Part 1






So for 2017, I've decided to cosplay as Ruby Rose for the series RWBY. In the image above this is Ruby's outfit she wore thought out volume 1 up till volume 3.


For my Ruby outfit, instead of buying new boots, I have  decided to make spats to covering for the boots I already have. So with the boots, I just taped the bottom of the them since that's all you're going to see.


I repainted some small buckles that will be attach the strap of the spats.


So, this is what my spat looks like so far. The fabric I used for the spats is black, soft-stretch vinyl. For finishing the vinyl edges I glued them down first, and then top stitch those edges to secure them. I sewed on pre-gather ribbon to the top, and attach elastic loop for the lacing.


For the strapping I used a strip of vinyl. Then I sewed on a square to one end of the strip to the spat. Finally sewed an "X" through the center of the square to secure strap on.


I also added top stitch to the straps to match the spat.


For the under strap, I used elastic.


Here what it looks like all together.


I used Velcro to attach and adjust the strap if needed.


I bought some cross charms and pins backs for Ruby's cape. First I used card-board and glue to attach the crosses and pin backs together, which didn't work to well. Then someone suggested to use PC Putty. It worked great, but really stunk.


Pretty, but smelly.


Here is the corset. My only problem I had making the corset was with the grommets. The hole punch wouldn't go through the fabric, it was either I was to weak or the hole punch was to dull (I think it was both). 


Zoom-up of my stitch work.


This the emblem for the belt buckle. I used card-board, craft foam, and paint.


I attach a kilt pin to the back.


Here's the pattern I used for the cape.

For my first cape I used knit fabric, but it was way to heavy. In the picture above, is my second cape made from satin. 


Here's the front of the cape.